Still waking up to emails in your inbox with subjects such as, “BIG SAVINGS NOW!”, “SURPRISE 40% OFF SALE!” “EXCLUSIVE HOLIDAY DEALS!” and “LAST CHANCE FOR 60% OFF!”?
You aren’t alone.
In fact, any consumer who’s ever signed up for a retailer’s newsletter (that’d be pretty much everyone on the planet) has been wading through a flurry of such emails for a while; since before Thanksgiving and before Black Friday and certainly before Cyber Monday. And here we are, over a week after the turkeys digested, still receiving those same emails.
Welcome to cyber month.
Cyber month: A month full of blowout sales, mouth watering markdowns and can’t-resist-pop-up specials designed to get consumers to spend as much as humanely possible. You can expect those emails to flood your inbox up until the day before Christmas.
Sure, the thought of seemingly endless discounts is reason to celebrate for some. Heaven knows I’ve spent more than I should have in the past week alone. Not just on gifts, but on myself! How’s that for holiday spirit?
Still, for some consumers on a mission to snag the best prices, all these deals can be overwhelming. For starters, there’s a lot to choose from, making anyone on a budget feel a little panicked and unsure of their purchases. It’s also hard to tell whether a retailer’s inflated prices on items just to make it seem like you’re getting a better deal than you actually are. Lastly, people are wary of pushing the “complete checkout” button for fear they’ll find the same item on sale in tomorrow’s batch of retail emails.
One of those worriers? Know that there are ways to side step the stress of holiday shopping.
1. Ultimately, your best bet is to only buy things you previously had on your “to buy” list. It’s hard to resist sales, but if you didn’t need it before it went on sale, you don’t need it now.
2. It’s also smart to do some research to see what the price the item actually retails for (especially on electronics). This is harder to do for clothing, but if it was previously on your “to buy list” you likely had an idea of what it cost in the first place.
3. Review the retailer’s return policy and then save your tags and receipts. If, after a week, you begin regretting your decision or find another item you like more for a better price, return your purchase.
4. Lastly, when you can, shop at retailers who price match. The website/app DealScience has compiled a short list of stores that do price match:
- Sears: 100%
- Kohl’s: 100%
- JCPenney: 100%
- Target: 100%
- Walmart: 100%
- BestBuy: 110%
- Fry’s: 110%
- Home Depot: 110%
- Lowe’s: 110%
- Staples: 100%
- Expedia: 100%
- Hotels.com: 100%
What are your thoughts on “cyber month”? Overwhelmed and shopped out? Or are you reveling in the joys of two fortnights of discounts supreme? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
By Wendy Rose Gould
Posted by Wendy Rose Gould at 11:00 AM
Opinions , Saving Tips , SHOPPING |