MARY PORTAS' top tips for charity chic-By Daily Mail Reporter
[Daily Mail Reporter ]
“Shopping guru Mary Portas is back on our screens – and she’s turning her attention to the world of charity shopping. Here are her top tips for charity chic.
Mary Queen of Shops: Follow her advice on how to grab a chic item at a charity shop.
1. Head to shops in the posher postcodes of cities to bag a designer bargain. Out-of-town shops can be great for jewellery and classics.
2. Shop early in the week, as most people donate at the weekend. First thing Tuesday is perfect. Staff will have had time to put out new stock and you’ll beat others to the best stuff.
3. Be prepared to rummage and enjoy the thrill of hunting out a bargain. Nothing will be displayed in outfits – you need to work a little harder to find real fashion gems.
4. Make friends with the shop manager; they can call you when something great comes in. One store was given a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes when we were filming and called a woman who had been looking out for some straight away – so it does work.
5. People take winter clothes to shops in summer, so look for a great winter coat now. Don’t be afraid to ask what the shop has out the back. Most keep out-of-season items in the storeroom.
6. It can be OK to haggle. Just don’t be cheeky.
WHAT TO BUY
Look out for recurring trends that are hot catwalk looks right now, such as animal prints, or Eighties items.
Look for classic accessories – a great designer bag will always be an investment.
Snap up any retro-looking sunglasses, from Ray-Bans to Jackie O styles, and you won’t go wrong.
Jewellery is always a good buy – just say ‘vintage’, not second- hand. “
Last updated at 12:19 AM on 04th June 2009
Bargain shop til you drop: MARY PORTAS’ top tips for charity chic
By Daily Mail Reporter
Know something we don't? Email us
at [email protected]