Encouraging a Daily Frolic
When I was a young teenage girl who dutifully attended church every Sunday, I had one pair of failsafe shoes that more than almost any other in my life, always made me feel good. They were the perfect mix of trendy meets classic, and they were black – so they matched everything. Now, this was back in the day when I relied on my parents to buy me shoes, so that meant I couldn’t have as many as I wanted, and there was a budget on what I could have. But if there’s one perk to being an adult that I enjoy, it’s that I’m in charge of my own check book. I, Jessica, now have the luxury of having more than a few pairs of ‘perfect, anytime, love them’ shoes. For summer, one of them will be a platform wedge.
There’s something fun about giving yourself an extra boost in height (whether you’re height-challenged, or already at Nicole Kidman height) with a platform wedge, and being able to glide past onlookers wherever you may be. If they’re jealous, you can’t blame them. You can only try not to smirk. Or, maybe you’d rather gloat. Which, just between you and me, is perfectly acceptable with the right shoe. Here are some platform wedges that I think would be a great addition to your summer wardrobe.
1. Forest Floral Wedge Shoe by Betsey Johnson at Bloomingdale’s ($200.00). Freakin’ cute! They kinda make me want to frolic. Let’s keep that our little secret, kay?
2. Anna Platform Wedge by Kate Spade at Bloomingdale’s ($195.00). Subtle yet shiny for what I’d call a masterful and deadly combination (nude colors elongate your legs).
3. Sand Platform Wedge Sandal by Calvin Klein at Macy’s (SALE – $77.00). I can picture Gwyneth Paltrow wearing these.
4. Zelda Animal Print Platform Wedge in Giraffe at Banana Republic (SALE – $68.60). There is also a zebra option, but trust my judgment – these are more chic.
5. Air Ricki Peep Toe Platform Wedge by Cole Haan at Nordstrom ($185.00). Preppy and cute, available in three colors – and they’re made with help by Nike Air to be super comfortable? I want all three. Is that greedy or savvy?
I also found these platform wedges at ShoeBlog with a Japanese leaf print on them, which are no longer available, but oh-so pretty to just look at.
Know something we don't? Email us
at [email protected]